On this page
- Location and Routes
- Entry Fee
- Our Sponsors
- Important Event Information
- Still have Questions?
- Course Map
Every day across Africa, children as young as six walk three miles, or even more, to school. No rush-hour traffic for them, but often no books or pencils either.
To help provide these children with the educational materials they need, School Aid is holding its 6th annual Fun Run on Sunday 30 June 2019, the proceeds of which will go to help improve the literacy of African school children.
This year we have two new exciting routes, of 2km and 5km, both almost entirely off road in and around the picturesque area of Hedgerley, which is near Gerrards Cross.
Our friendly giraffe, Tutwa, will again be with us and she may also have her two youngsters with her. Her sponsorship page is available now.
We would also be delighted to welcome anybody willing to dress as an African animal to keep her company.
Giraffe ears can be purchased on-line when you register. Alternatively, you can purchase on the day, but stock will be limited.
Dogs on leads are welcome on both routes.
Refreshments and cakes will be available for purchase, and there will be a secondhand book stall, so do remember to bring along some cash.
This year, both routes will start and finish at a new location close to the School Aid warehouse, which is situated in Wapseys Lane, off Hedgerley Lane. It will be well signposted on the day.
Ample parking will be in a designated field.
Both routes will start with a circuit of the adjoining field and finish at the School Aid warehouse, providing an opportunity to see first-hand how we operate.
- The 2km course, ideal for young children and families, takes in a field and rural footpath before finishing at our warehouse.
- The 5km route is a more meandering course through fields and along paths that enable participants to enjoy beautiful countryside views.
Runners and walkers of all abilities are welcome.
See below for course maps (to follow).
|Ticket Type||Advance Price||On the Day Price|
|Individual (5km and 2km)||£10 per person||£12 per person|
|Team (5km)||£8 per person||£10 per person|
|Family (2km and 5km)||£20 per family||£22 per family|
- Individual (5km and 2km)
- Team (5km)
- Family (5km and 2km)
We will attempt to provide timings for everyone, but cannot guarantee this nor the accuracy of those times.
Note: Family entrants are limited to a minimum of one adult and child, and a maximum of 2 adults and 3 children. Age categories are based on age on day of event. Children under 11 must be accompanied by an adult with full responsibility for their safety.
We would be delighted if your school would like to enter a team - or several! Please contact [email protected] NO LATER THAN FRIDAY 14 JUNE 2019 and we will organise this for you.
All participants will receive The School Aid Fun Run medal.
Prizes will also be awarded in the following categories:
|First race competitor (5km)||2 Everyman cinema vouchers|
|First race competitor (2km)||Children's books|
|First team (5km)||tbc|
|First family group (5km)||Lomito restaurant £20 gift voucher|
|First family group (2km)||Pizza Express voucher worth £20|
Best animal fancy dress
Note: Winning participants will only be awarded one prize eg either first individual or first family or team.
Advance registration and tickets can be ordered online now at the bottom of the page. Giraffe animal ears at £4 a pair can also be purchased.
Registration on the day will take place from 9.30am at the venue in Wapseys Lane, Hedgerley.
We have kept our entry fees low so everyone can participate.
However, we would be delighted if you were able to sponsor our giraffe, Tutwa, by going to their sponsorship page,which will soon be available. In previous years sponsorship has doubled our income.
Alternatively add an optional donation payable on registration.
Every penny raised will help a child in Africa:
- £30 will fill a classroom shelf with books
- £50 will supply textbooks for a whole class
- £150 will train up a new library assistant
Or you could set up your own fundraising page on Just Giving and encourage your family and friends to make a donation in support of your participation in the event.
You can also download and print a Sponsorship Form.
Special thanks go to TESCO for a generous donation from their Bags of Help scheme. This will ensure that all money raised on the day will go directly to School Aid.
If any other companies or individuals wish to offer their support to help minimise our administrative costs, please do get in touch.
Refreshments including cakes will also be on sale - remember to bring some money!
- Any child under the age of 11 must be accompanied by an adult on site who will be responsible for their care and safety throughout the event.
- Both routes will be well signposted and marshalled, but please be aware that the 5km route involves passing over uneven paths and going through gates and stiles. It is therefore unsuitable for buggies or wheelchairs.
- The 2km event will be entirely free of roads, stiles, gates or narrow paths. Unfortunately, the ground is a bit rough and uneven so not suitable for buggies.
- Footpaths may be uneven, overgrown and muddy so please wear appropriate footwear.
- If the footpaths are judged to be too muddy on the day of the event, an alternate route may be substituted.
- The routes will close at 12.30pm when marshals and signage will be withdrawn.
- All participants will enter at their own risk and the organisers will in no way be responsible for any injury, illness or accident to any person, or damage to or loss of property, resulting from participation or attendance at the event.
Email us at [email protected]
We have devised a new route this year which avoids crossing any roads and follows footpaths in and around Hedgerley.