Every day across Africa, children as young as six walk three miles, or even more, to school. No rush-hour traffic for them, but often no books or pencils either.
To help provide these children with the educational materials they need, School Aid is organising a Fun Run run/walk on Sunday 1st July 2018, the proceeds of which will go to help African school children.
The two traffic-free, off-road routes start in Bulstrode Park near The Bull Hotel, Gerrards Cross, and pass through Hedgerley Green. The 2km course is entirely within the park so is suitable for young children and families, while the longer 5km route attracts walkers and runners of all abilities.
This year we have two members of staff joining us in giraffe costumes. They are known as Tutwa and Twiga and are looking for Sponsorship to increase the money we raise from registration fees. We would be delighted to also welcome anybody willing to dress as an African animal to keep them company. Giraffe ears can be purchased on-line when you register. Alternatively, you can purchase on the day, but stock will be limited.
Dogs on leads are welcome on both routes. Refreshments and cakes will be available for purchase at the start/finish line so do remember to bring some cash along.
For the second year there will also be an inter-school competition organised jointly with Gayhurst School starting at 9.30am. See below for more information.
On this page:
- Entry Fee
- Inter-Schools Competition
- Our Sponsors
- After the Event
- Important Event Information
- Still have questions?
- Course Map
|Ticket Type||Advance Price||On the Day Price|
|Individual (5km and 2km)||£10 per person||£12 per person|
|Team (5km)||£8 per person||£10 per person|
|Family (2km and 5km)||£20 per family||£22 per family|
- Individual (5km and 2km)
- Team (5km)
- Family (5km and 2km)
We will attempt to provide timings for everyone but cannot guarantee this nor the accuracy of the times.
Teams are being organised by local schools with separate registration arrangements.
Please contact your child’s school if interested or email Simon Kearns, Director of Sport at [email protected]
If you need further help to get your school involved please email us at [email protected]
All participants will receive the School Aid Fun Run medal.
Prizes will also be awarded in the following categories:
|First race competitor (5km)||tbc|
|First race competitor (2km)||Children's books|
|First team (5km)||tbc|
|First family group (5km)||tbc|
|First family group (2km)||tbc|
Best animal fancy dress
Note: Winning participant will only be awarded one prize eg either first individual or first family or team.
Giraffe animal ears at £3 a pair can also be purchased.
Registration on the day will take place from 9.30am at the Bull Hotel, Oxford Road, Gerrards Cross SL9 7PA, where there is ample parking.
We have kept our entry fees low so everyone can participate.
However, we would be delighted if you were able to sponsor our giraffes, Tutwa and Twiga, by going to their sponsorship page. In previous years sponsorship has doubled our income.
Alternatively add an optional donation payable on registration.
Every penny raised will help a child in Africa:
- £30 will fill a classroom shelf with books
- £50 will supply textbooks for a whole class
- £150 will train a new library assistant
Or you could set up your own sponsorship page and encourage your family and friends to make a donation in support of your participation in the event. Just go to our event fundraising page at JustGiving.com and follow the simple instructions.
You can also download and print a Sponsorship Form.
Special thanks go to our sponsors The Bull Hotel, Chewton Rose estate agents and Apex Sports Farnham Common for their generous support of the event.
If any other companies or individuals wish to offer their support to help minimise our administrative costs, please do get in touch.
Why not extend your day out? The Bull Hotel is offering a generous 10% discount on the day to participants and spectators of The School Run who wish to enjoy their weekly Sunday Lunch with Live Jazz or their delicious traditional Afternoon Tea served in their Conservatory Lounge.
Advance bookings are requested. Just call the hotel on 01753 885995, quoting School Aid to get the discount.
Alternatively, if you want to enjoy the rest of the day in a less formal, relaxed manner, feel free to bring your own refreshments and set up a picnic in the grounds of Bulstrode Park.
Refreshments including cakes will also be on sale - remember to bring some money!
- Registration will take place at the Bull Hotel from 9.30am. However please be aware that the actual event itself will start at the entrance to Bulstrode Park, at the bottom of Main Drive, so please arrive in plenty of time to register and walk to the start.
- Any child under the age of 11 must be accompanied by an adult on site who will be responsible for their care and safety throughout the event.
- Both routes will be well signposted and marshalled, but please be aware that the 5km route involves passing over uneven paths and going through gates and stiles. It is therefore unsuitable for buggies or wheelchairs.
- The 2km event will be entirely within Bulstrode Park, with no roads, stiles, gates or narrow paths. Children in buggies are therefore welcome.
- Footpaths may be uneven, overgrown and muddy so please wear appropriate footwear.
- If the footpaths are judged to be too muddy on the day of the event, an alternate route within Bulstrode Park will be substituted.
- The routes will close at 12.30pm when marshals and signage will be withdrawn.
- There will be a picnic area at the end of the course.
- All participants will enter at their own risk and the organisers will in no way be responsible for any injury, illness or accident to any person, or damage to or loss of property, resulting from participation or attendance at the event.
Email us at [email protected]
The course will be the same as last year which avoids crossing any roads and follows footpaths in and around Bulstrode Park.